Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Warrior at Heart - Beating the Odds

     The last month has given me unbelievable strength and confidence in myself and motivation to help others.  I am beyond amazed at the power of the mind and what will power can truly bring to one's life.  If you have read my previous blog posts, I have been through a lot, depression and anxiety, diagnosis of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, PTSD and domestic situations in relationships.  I have learned so much about myself and others during the journey to creating a new life for myself but most importantly I have learned that I have the power and motivation within myself and determination to do whatever I set my mind to do.  
       April 7, 2015 I jumped in to Tempe Town Lake for the first competitive swim since my RSD diagnosis and being told I will never be an athlete again.  I was worried about wearing the wetsuit and the pressure against my body, but I took a deep breath, looked at my teammates that were with me, my support of those who were not swimming and said, Let's Do This.  A friend of mine from my swimming days at Phoenix Swim Club was also there swimming the same distance, I knew I could not give up not matter how long it took me.  The 4000 meter  (~2.6 miles) was the first distance in the water at 7:30 am.  The horn blasted and we were off.   I finished 15th overall in the distance of 76 swimmers with a time of 1:15.  I was ecstatic to have just completed it.  My body began to flare but thankfully I was able to get treatment that following Monday.   
        April 25, 2015, once again I woke early and my mom and headed out to Lake Pleasant for my 2nd Open Water Swim.  This time it was my mom, and one other of my teammates, Nikki and her family.  I was entered in the distance swim the 3000 meter (2 miles) this time.  My friend from Phoenix was again swimming along with several other of our former teammates.  This time, only 30 of us were entered in the distance event.  I came in 5th for the women and 9th overall in 56 minutes.   I am improving each time and the wetsuit has only proven to be an aid.   With each swim my confidence is growing and although my body does not recover as quickly as others, I am defying the odds.  I am doing what the doctors said I never should be able to do.  
          May 03, 2015, I am waking once again, but this time for an event I have never done in my life. I have entered in my first Triathlon.  The Gildan Esprit de She Women's Triathlon.   Since I have little time training on a bike, I only entered the Sprint, a 750 meter swim (~.5 miles), a 12.4 mile bike, and a 5K Run (3.1 miles).   I was there with 5 of the most incredible women I have ever met.  Didi, an extreme weight loss teammate who is an incredible athlete, her sister Kim, another incredible woman who is a cancer survivor and an inspiration to anyone, Alison and Nikki also both incredible athletes. We were there together as a team and supporters.  Our friends and family and fellow teammates there to cheer us on.   I was nervous but excited to show the world that no one can take away your drive and motivation, no one can take you life from you, not even the doctors.   I completed my first triathlon in 1:37.54.   I was 15th overall in the 31-34 age group and 63rd of 208 Sprint competitors.   I finished!!! I did it!
            I have climbed mountains and jump through hoops, moved obstacle courses out of my way to prove that the power of the mind will allow you to do almost anything you set out to accomplish.  Proper diet, exercise and training protocols, positivity and determination are the key to success.   Living with RSD, the most important piece is listening to my body.  Resting, like I am doing now and letting my body heal.   I cannot wait to continue and live my life to the fullest.  RSD will not beat me!  
           Many thanks are owed to my incredible family that has supported me through it all.  My mom first and foremost that with out her I am not sure where I would be right now.  To Barby and Ken of Power of Pain Foundation, you saved my life, you got me to treatment and have stuck by through it all.  To Gerald whom without the treatment would not have happen, his research and dedication to helping those with mental illness and chronic pain will never go unrecognized.  To my favorite nurse Kevin who came out to support me at my Triathlon with his beautiful fiancé Julie with her art skills making me a Superhero, you two are incredible and without you I would not be here.  Your care for me has been tremendous.  My coaches, Bobbi and Frank without you  I would have given up you have me the strength to fight.  To my Tri Family: Robert, Didi, Kim, Brianna, Nicole, Alison, JP, Jon, Melissa, Terrell you guys have made this journey more enjoyable and are the best family I could ask for!  
          Lessons for all you:  No matter your diagnosis or the obstacles you face in life... FIGHT!!! Never Give Up and find and surround yourself with those who support, love and care about you.  You can Beat the Odds and be a Warrior!! I may still have RSD but RSD will not Beat Me!  I have beaten it!  Stay strong and go after what you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment